TC553/852 Problem

Questions and discussions are relating to all aspects of hardware.
awelles

TC553/852 Problem

Post by awelles »

I purchased a TC553/852 LCD module from you around August 2007. I had taken a break working on my project for about three weeks over my winter break (I'm a student), and when I returned, my module was unresponsive.

The first thing I noticed is that when I applied 5V to power the unit, the backlight was extremely dim. When I connected the unit to my microcontroller's USART, the unit did not respond. I also noticed that over time, the backlight seemed to grow slightly brighter.

I wanted to make sure that it wasn't my code that was wrong, so I put the jumpers back on and hooked it up to the control panel program included with the module, and still no response.

At this point, I was clueless as to what the problem could be, since it was working 100% when I left it 3 weeks earlier before break, so I called a friend that had the same module just to make sure that my control panel and microcontroller was working. Low and behold, my colleague's module worked fine on both test platforms.

So now here I am wondering why what is wrong with the module and why it decided to quit working after being functional when I left it last.

vivat
Site Admin
First Name: Nick
Last Name: G.

Re: TC553/852 Problem

Post by vivat »

It seems like a problem with your power supply. It doesn't supply enough voltage to the controller and it might be the reason the backlight is dim. If the voltages are too low (below 4.7VDC) the microcontroller won't boot up. Please check your module with a working 9VDC 500mA AC Adaptor and make sure that you have 5VDC on the output of U9 (you can use J5, square pad +5VDC).

Support Group,
TVI Electronics

awelles

Post by awelles »

Thanks for the reply vivat.

I did happen to hook up a 12V AC/DC adapter to U9, and had the exact same problem. I've tried: 5V straight from my power supply, 5V from my project's power supply (buck regulated from 12V), as well as using the onboard linear regulator from the 12V AC/DC adapter.

Recently, I unhooked the flexes and replaced my controller board with my collegue's, and the functionality is 100%. I am assuming there is something wrong with my controller board. I do not currently have access to a DMM, but I am almost certain my voltages are correct, as I have many other circuits in my project that depend on that 5V as well (specifically my microcontroller, another mega16).

vivat
Site Admin
First Name: Nick
Last Name: G.

Post by vivat »

In this case it might be a problem with the firmware, it might became corrupted. Try to reprogram the firmware with the latest available from our web site. If reprogramming the firmware won't help, there might be something wrong with your TC553/852 controller. Consider sending it back for evaluation and, if needed, repair. For TVI Electronics Return Policy click here.

Support Group,
TVI Electronics