Touch Screen VGA to Touch Screen RGB conversion

Questions and discussions are relating to all aspects of hardware.
jcanog

Touch Screen VGA to Touch Screen RGB conversion

Post by jcanog »

Hello,
First of all sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this, but surfing the internet I thought this forum could be useful for me.

I have a 2 DIN multimedia unit in my car (like the thousands of them you can find nowadays). This 2 DIN device is an ORIS AIO 2780 which features a 7" touch screen LCD and a RGB navigation port (8 pin DIN connector). This brand has a GPS box touch screen compatible with the unit, but I do not like it at all. However there are many GPS Boxes and Car PCs much more powerful and capable, touch screen compatible featuring VGA ports, USB ports and serial ports and normally running Windows CE or Windows XP.

I would like to know if there is any way (simply and cost effcetive) of hooking up my 7" touch screen LCD with a car PC or GPS box using the RGB navigation port so that I can use my touch screen with the applications (like a navigation SW) of the car pc.

Thanks in advance.
RGDS.
JCano

vivat
Site Admin
First Name: Nick
Last Name: G.

Post by vivat »

Warning: The following modifications are not recommended to anyone who is inexperienced with the mechanical hook up and electrical wiring of their unit. It's extremely easy to make mis-connections and destroy the unit and all other components. Don't do it if you're not feeling comfortable about taking your unit apart. But if you do, do it at your own risk.

In order to use your navi touch screen LCD with a CarPC you'll need to find a way to convert the PC's video signal (VGA) output into a signal that your navi system accepts. There are various methods that will allow you to accomplish that.

You can use VGA Computer-to-Video Converter to convert your computer video signal into a form suitable for integrating into a multimedia unit system. You can also buy a video card for your PC and use your navi touch screen LCD unit as a TV.

To use your existing touch screen LCD unit, you'll need to buy our or similar touchscreen controller, either SLT-TP05-USB or TP05-5W-USB (depending on your touch screen type, 4- or 5-wire). The controller contains a microprocessor, analog-to-digital converters, and microchips to enable communication with the host PC. The controller powers the touchscreen, controls the excitation, and interprets the information received from the touchscreen. The controller filters the returning touchscreen data and converts it into raw touch coordinates, which are then sent to the PC by a digital software protocol. In order to connect your original touch screen with touchscreen controller it'll require some decent disassembly of your LCD to get to where the touch screen is connected with the LCD. Once you'll find a touch screen connector, all you'll need is just to connect your touch screen with touchscreen controller and controller to your CarPC via USB port.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a lot of information about installing CarPC with a navi touch screen LCD system. As I know there is already a discusiion thread started where you can find a lot of questions already been answered. For more information refer to http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-of ... ation.html or http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151216

Support Group,
TVI Electronics

tinteena

Post by tinteena »

What is the difference between vga and dvi-d? I am trying to hook up my macbook pro to an LG monitor. It has both vga and dvi inputs. Is one of them any higher quality than the other? My mac has its stupid mini display port so I have to buy a converter either way. Which one should i get?

vivat
Site Admin
First Name: Nick
Last Name: G.

Post by vivat »

The VGA is an analog video signal and DVI is a digital video interface. The DVI provides a higher quality of the picture comparing to VGA. Since your monitor supports both interfaces, I'd go with a DVI.

Support Group,
TVI Electronics